Handyman Ministries' offered programs
1. Maintenance Program - maintenance and repair to any area that makes a home unsafe, unsanitary or unhealthy for the homeowner.
2. Efficiency Program - perform energy audits to identify excessive energy loss resulting in disproportionate energy bills and provide efficiency upgrades to reduce the homeowner utility expenditures.
3. Home Modification Program - Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) compliant home modifications for the disabled based on the individual's specific needs dictated by their physical condition.
4. The program is designed to assist participants in creating and/or achieving gainful employment by teaching the necessary skills needed to acquire a Michigan State Building Contractor License. TAP is also designed to assist participants in obtaining and sustaining safe permanent housing. Furthermore, Handyman Ministries (HM) has a holistic approach for the success and wellbeing of the participants. TAP offers the apprentices many opportunities to develop the stability, confidence, life and vocation skills needed to be a successful member of society. HM will pay an hourly wage to the apprentices while participating in the program and help them to obtain their GED, driver's license and/or obtain temporary housing.
HM’ fills a significant gap in our community by providing employment and housing opportunities for these disadvantaged populations.
A. Youths in Transition
• Young adults aging out from the foster care system
• Young adults with nowhere to turn
• Returning citizens from correctional facilities
• Returning citizens from substance abuse programs
• Homeless or citizens living in homeless shelters
• Graduated students
• Job loss
• Career change
Permanent housing for participating apprentices are acquired through HM’ “Vacant House Program.” This program is part of our Neighborhood Stabilization Initiative. HM will acquire vacated, condemned, abandoned or donated homes through our partners, participating organization or government entities. HM’ volunteers, staff and the apprentices will renovate these homes, making them move-in ready and available for ownership of the TAP graduates.
5. Vacant House Program
This program is part of our Neighborhood Stabilization Initiative. HM will acquire vacated, condemned, abandoned or donated homes and rehabilitate them.
A. On-site Training
• Our student apprentices, licensed tradesmen, partners and volunteers will repair these homes.
• This serves as the first of three areas of hands-on field training. These homes will provide valuable opportunities for the apprentice to be exposed to and educated in all areas of residential construction and repair
B. Low-cost 0% Interest Bank-free Mortgage Program
• HM will offer qualifying low-income clients subsidized housing through this program. HM will provide in-kind finance at zero percent interest to all recipients. This will also serve as a stream of earned income to help pay the apprentices wades and for the programs sustainability
C. Student Ownership on Graduation
• Each student will receive one of the above described homes upon completion of the TAP. HM will lift the lien off of the title after three (3) years following the program, provided the recipient is up to date on their taxes
Serving the Lord by Serving Those in Need
Handyman Ministries is a 501(c)(3) non-profit Christian-based community renovation organization. We provide low-income residential homeowners with free home maintenance and repair services, energy efficient upgrades, home modifications for the physically disabled as well as skilled trades apprenticeship programs. Handyman Ministries is a grass-root, volunteer-based Christian approach to serving the needs of the community by putting the Gospel Message in action. Our mission is to reflect the love of Christ by creating a tangible improvement in the lives of others both physically and spiritually. Our goal is to promote peoples' faith in and relationship with God as well as their faith in others and in their community.
Recipients must be a low-income residential homeowners living within Macomb, Oakland, and Wayne Counties, Michigan and have owned their home for a minimum of one year. Proof of home ownership and proof of home occupancy is required.
Neighborhood Stabilization and Economic Growth Initiative
This is HM' holistic approach to solving many of the problems we face as a society. Each aspect of this initiative interacts symbiotically with the other facets. In order to counteract the bligh